Decoupage is a craft strategy of fastening paper decors to a tough surface area with adhesive. By checking out a finished job, you would assume this craft method would be made complex, however it isn’t. Decoupage began in France in the 17th century as the poor man’s alternative to painted furnishings. It is actually quite simple. If you can cut and also paste, you currently recognize most of the strategies involved.
To start with decoupage, you eliminated images as well as glue them onto a things. The following action is to cover the things and also pictures with a few coats of glue or decoupage medium to shield it. You most likely have everything you need to make your task existing around your house right now. Gather your supplies as well as start crafting.
Decoupage medium is an all-in-one sealer, glue, as well as coating used for producing decoupaged works of art. Utilize it on timber, material and also other porous surfaces. It dries clear and also holds your glued-on paper cuts tight.
Materials You Need
Similar to any craft job you make, you ought to constantly review the guidelines initially. Make a checklist of products that you require to buy, although you may currently have numerous of the supplies already in your home.
– Choose what object you desire to embellish with decoupage. You can add images to practically anything: furniture, picture albums, shelving, frames, boxes, vases, mirrors, hardbound publications, trays, luggage, recipes, candle lights, containers, containers, egg cartons, rocks, and far more.
– Locate a photo source. The alternatives are limitless: remove pictures, concepts, or shapes from wrapping paper, wallpaper, fabric, paper napkins, welcoming cards, postcards, pictures, travel sales brochures, handbills, programs, yard seed packages, web pages from old books, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, bow, posters, dried blossoms, cells paper, and more. You can also acquire paper and also pictures made specifically for decoupage. You can photocopy clip art, photos, stories, poems, and also various other items published from your computer system, with unique factors to consider for images printed using an inkjet printer.
– Pick what decoupage medium to make use of. You can get an item made specifically for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collection Pauge. You need to have at least one of those in your craft cabinet, but in a pinch, slightly weakened white adhesive will certainly do.
The items above are the crucial supplies you require, but there are a couple of other things you could discover useful to use in your decoupage trip:
– Bone folder: You can use this to help ravel wrinkles and remove excess adhesive. You can also purchase a tool made especially for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Use this to spread the decoupage medium or glue onto the item you will decoupage. If you don’t have a foam brush, you can utilize a regular paintbrush or even a cotton bud.
– Scissors: Use to eliminate the pictures as well as various other products you will certainly be decoupaging. To help with reducing ornamental paper with a great deal of small details, you could want to utilize scissors with smalls blades or an energy knife.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are often an excellent aid when it comes to placing tiny pictures.
– Moist dustcloth: Keep one close-by to clean up excess glue as well as to help with various other tidy up. Make certain the dustcloth is damp and also not saturating damp when using it to remove excess decoupage medium from your glued documents. A damp cloth likewise helps to keep your hands clean while collaborating with glue.
Beginning With Your Task
As soon as you have actually gathered all of your supplies, you can start on your task by following in addition to these simple directions.
Make certain the item you’re decoupaging is tidy, removing any type of dirt or dust. It has to likewise be dry. If you’re mosting likely to repaint your product first, the paint must be absolutely completely dry before you start decoupaging (no tackiness). This instance utilized spray paint with an added-in guide to repaint a wood tray. Ensure the paint you use is appropriate for the object you mean to decoupage.
Eliminate the pictures you are going to use. It helps to utilize an X-Acto blade to eliminate the paper pieces that have a fair bit of elaborate detail.
Prior to you add adhesive, arrange the pictures onto the item you are decoupaging until you like the method they look. The pictures can be in any type of placement you like and can additionally overlap.
Working in a tiny section each time, remove the pictures and use a generous layer of decoupage medium onto the product you are decoupaging. See to it you completely cover any area the picture will touch. If you prefer, you can spread out the medium onto the back of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage tool. Utilize your finger to carefully lower the picture (for a big image, begin with the center and function your escape) and push out any wrinkles and also excess medium. You can additionally make use of a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last 2 steps until all of your images are glued on.
Let the decoupage tool completely dry. If you are making use of photos on thicker paper, such as pictures or greeting cards, they can take longer to dry.
Watch for bubbles as your photos completely dry. If one forms, use a pin or energy blade to pop it and then utilize your fingers to smooth it down.
Once the medium is dry, coat your product thoroughly with another layer of the decoupage medium. Let this dry.
Continue to add coats of the medium till you get the desired results. You will certainly wish to keep including layers up until the edges of the pictures are all smooth.
Let your task completely dry entirely prior to it’s ready to make use of, show, or be given away as a gift.
If you use inkjet-printed product on your jobs, let the ink completely dry, then spray it with hairspray. It establishes the ink and after that you can make use of the print. Ensure both are totally dry before applying your tool.
– Make xeroxes of pictures and also other original documents to make use of in decoupage so you can conserve the original. You can additionally take a picture of them with your phone and afterwards publish it.
– Tear your photos rather than reducing them. Torn sides lay a little flatter and also blend a little bit better.
– Take a picture to keep in mind the positioning of your paper items. It’s easy to fail to remember once you eliminate them and also begin decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment before you dedicate. For rougher surface areas, the pictures must stick yet will certainly take a little bit longer to dry. If the surface area is extremely smooth, take into consideration roughing it up with a little sandpaper.